Tuesday, September 30, 2008

WOW

I am very excited to go to Ironman but a few things recently have helped me keep my perspective on the event. Talk about putting things in perspective. As important as this is to me, there certainly are things out there that are bigger. It is easy to lose perspective at times.

A friend of mine was in a near fatal car accident. She is lucky to be alive. Trying to balance family and work with training is always fun. Most recently however though, my wife’s grandmother had a stroke.

The woman is in her 90’s and still mows her own yard – 3 acres!!! She is amazing and I only hope to be so fortunate when and if I live that long. She was a bit out of it as she fell and hurt her neck and head pretty good. After a couple days in the hospital Lindsay, who is there, called to give me a status report.

We were unsure how such an independent woman would face the facts that she is basically paralyzed now on her left side. Her first comment to Lindsay: “Well, I never got to deal with a challenge like this before”. – WOW!! Can you believe that?! No Poor me, no, what am I going to do, just hmmm, this should be interesting. She is amazing.

I know I could learn a lesson or two from this woman and how to have a positive outlook on life no matter what cards are dealt. Talk about a perfect mental approach to triathlon. Heck SHE should be doing Kona next week.

Also I would like to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to all who have contributed to the charity I am racing for in Kuna. Race to Cure Blindness is an organization my friend Michael Stone was instrumental in helping to set up. Michael is in a battle for his eyesight. You can read more on this on the website I created for him: www.fightblindness.org/goto/zucco.

No comments: