Sunday, April 17, 2016

20 days post surgery


Spirits are stable and mainly up
So here I sit. All in all, my spirits have been pretty even and generally up. I had my post operation visit with the doctors. They said everything seemed to be healing quite well. In fact, I think that worked against me because where my sutures were in, my body was starting to get pissed off to have to deal with them. I had a small spot that a little abscess formed as a result. We quickly got me on some antibiotics and that seems to be working like a charm.

Ditch the crutches
I was expecting at this appointment that they would tell me to start to introduce weight bearing gradually. Instead, they told me to go ahead a lose the crutches and try to have a go with just the boot! I was a bit shocked cause you come in there thinking not to let the foot touch the ground, and leave there with instructions to suck it up. LOL. Kidding of course but only kind of.

I couldn’t do it that first day, it was too painful on the medial and internal side, but was told that was normal. The fat pad at the bottom of my foot wasn’t ready for the weight bearing either so that took a couple days. I do have two pretty big wedges in my boot and I thought I would introduce a familiar feeling to my foot to help it along. So I grabbed an insert from a pair of running shoes and put that in the boot. It actually worked quite well. Within 2 days I was already doing about 90% walking in the boot.
THE BOOT SUCKS

Walking in the book sucks. It makes my one leg a lot longer than the other so I have to be very careful to not let my knee hyper extend while walking in it. I have heard many people need to follow up ankle surgery with knee surgery for this reason. I really don’t want to do that. So I am trying to just take it slow, and when I want to walk fast I grab the crutches.

The boot is heavy, its hot, and I am so thankful I have been cleared to just not have to sleep with it anymore.

Trying to not be a fat ass.



I have been able to go t strength 4 times already. Garrett has been awesome. We come up with complete circuits where I am basically on my knees the entire time. He has been great though as I can actually say I leave there feeling fully challenged.

This week I was able to actually get on the trainer and spin. I leave the fan off so I can actually sweat a little bit but today I was able to ride for 65 min at an average of 165 watts. I have to have the boot on, and a running shoe on the other foot to make it work. I also lower my seat a bit so my calf isn’t put under a lot of stress. I don’t want it to pull on the tendon repair. It makes your ass incredibly sore sitting on a low saddle without any standing breaks at all.

I’m not really working out for a comeback, at least not yet. I still have not decided how and if I’ll do a comeback to competing yet. I have a unique opportunity I believe right now where I can comeback if I want to, but I don’t HAVE to return to the same level of training for myself. This season basically off creates a natural break point for me to decide what it is I want to do. So I am going to take my time with that. For now, I just like moving and staying in touch with fitness. I know I always want to do something.

PT makes all the difference

I have been really lucky to know some of the best PT’s in the world I believe. Three immediately come to mind.

Bryan Hill in California

Wolfgang in Scottsdale

And Gina Pongetti here at home.

Gina works with USA gymnastics athletes, Cirque, and is an Ironman competitor herself. She teaches dry needling, Garston, ART, and many more techniques I’m sure I am leaving out. So I am damn lucky to be able to go to her.  She has been working her magic on it already. We are able to already mobilize the joint, work on the plantar fascia and start to do band work to strengthen my ankle.
It is giving me tremendous confidence that all will be well.

Sick - ugh


I final caught a bit of a cold. So if I can just shake this, I think I’ll be good to go. My next surgery is in 4 weeks. The Dr. was like “you sure?”. I told him, I just want to get through this. If I can be healing two things at once, I’m down for that. I have no doubt that I will be in for a tough May/June. However, my goal is to be able to walk around the 4th of July and be able to work out that morning ding something. 

No comments: