Friday, March 15, 2019

Why are you doing your next race? Do you remember?




Athletes will often ask me what races I think they should do. I completely understand why they are asking, and what type of advice they are asking for. Its probably for this reason I understand why they may be frustrated with me when I try to not answer. 

They do not let doctors operate on family members. The reason, they are emotionally involved. They want the decisions to be calculated, and precise. I know that if that if I were the patient, I would appreciate someone giving me the best advice possible based on the situation. 

Races, require a different perspective. When was the last time you were forced to race an event completely unemotional? It’s your emotion and desire that will often motivate you to pull through the hard training, and the tough times in the races. You NEED to be emotionally involved. 

I had someone tell me once, “I can only make suggestions, you have to make decisions.” 

As a coach, I am here to advice, and council. I am great at telling athletes what the consequences could be given the decisions they make, or what races may or may not be a great idea, etc. They have to decide though. 

In your next race, remember you emotions. You’re “why”. I know that the training gets tough as you start to get close. This is the exact time you need to pull out those emotions and visualize the results you want. 

Get the job done. You know you can. 

No comments: