Friday, May 31, 2019

Pre Race Meals


I am definitely not a nutritionist. That needs to be super clear. 

However, like so many people I have struggled with getting down to race weight.  Maintaining it was even harder, and then once there trying to have the right amount of energy while racing and not having GI issues... Yup, I have had all of that. 

I have been asked a lot lately about what I eat before and during my races. Everyone may have to tweak their own plan and sub out their own products, but here are the general guidelines. 

Ironman Races

I shoot for about 1000 calories for breakfast. 
  • Goal is to eat things that are easy to digest and let blood sugar also stay stable. So you need to have the right ratios. 
  • I try to select things based on the ability to get it on race day. So anything that needs refrigerated, make sure that will be accessible. 
  • I try to eat things that will not weight my stomach down. 
  • I avoid fiber as it will potentially make me go to the bathroom, but will also require more water from your system to digest. 
  • If it's going to be a hot race, then I take a bit of salt (or even a salt tab). Do not over do the salt. 
  • IMPORTANT- while the simple carbs are awesome and needed, I personally try to eat them at the same time as some of the stuff with fat and protein. 
  • I DO NOT recommend trying to eat “healthy”. Veggies and even fruit can really make your system feel rough. 

2 shakes - I use the Isagenix regular shakes. They have non dairy, and they are even vegan if that is what you need. They travel easy as dry powder, are complete nutrition so all you need is water. Each one is about 250 calories. Before I used these I have also used the original Ensure drinks, and have also used Boost. There may be other great ones to use as well. 

2 eggs. Each are 70 calories (so 140 total). High protein, digest easy, can get them just about anywhere. These also help stabilize blood sugar

4 frozen waffles or white toast. 2 are about 110 calories.  All in all about 250-350 calories. 

I do not et them all at once, I’ll eat the solid food first then spread the shakes out while I get my stuff ready.

70.3 Races

Same as the Ironman but try to be around 750-1000 calories. 

Im usually less likely to be in a situation where I rent a place to stay that has a kitchen. I will also be less inclined to be in the area as long and will not plan to go to the “grocery” store. Therefore I tend to do just the 2 shakes and something else around 250 calories. 

  • pretzels
  • Chocolate bar (do not eat any of these simple carbs without eating one of the shakes with it. Will stabilize blood sugar if you have the sugar with the protein and fat in the shake) 

In both situations I try to eat at least 2.5 hours before the start. 

For 3-4 hour events or shorter
  • Olympic, marathons, half marathon, etc.  
Same thing 500 - 750 calories. 


No comments: